4/1/17

Darude in Vancouver 2017

Well it was a night with the pride and joy of Finland when the legend and creator of "Sandstorm" rolled into Vancouver. The dude they called "Darude".

Now I grew up listening to Darude when I was a kid, when Sandstorm first came out and highly amused it returned later, which I'm also highly "O_O" by...dudes the guy has a bigger discography then "Sandstorm"!!!!! I was super excited to finely see this guy performing live but also very nervous at the same time, being terrified of crowds and considering the previous hi-jinks that occurred on missions. I expressed my concerns to Ville (aka Darude) himself, and much to my surprise he gave me pep-talk both live on his video stream and on twitter. Aww he cares and amused he "dress up whatever you want"....oh he knows about the cosplay.

Of course I dressed up in club cosplay. I was Yveltal...the pokemon of Death and Destruction. Bit of a stretch for me cause I'm not usually the persona of death. Went for a simple but effective getup. Made horns from a headband, pipe cleaners and felt. The shirt is tie-dyed and painted by hand to invoke, Yveltal's blood vessel-flesh like patterning.



The night itself...ok it got surreal-fantasy adventure akin to real fantasy story. When I show up at the club, the security said "I received a phone call about you", when I said "I'm nervous"....I'm thinking, "wait what?! is Ville up to something?". Hmmm in terms of crazy stuff....ok I expect people attracted to me because of my horns but usually the girl who tucked herself in the sideline doesn't want to talk...or give random shelf shots with random guys. (I obligated out of diplomacy...still weird)

While waiting in the sidelines....Darude slips by me into the dj booth...O_O?! He recognizes me and gives a pat on the back-hello. Awww...suddenly security asks to come in the dj booth area O_O!! Whoa! Ville invites me to sit on the couch with him then chat (actually if was me writing on a notepad cause my voice is too soft to hear) about various things like my home-turf -movie set village of Steveston, asking how to pronounce his real name of Ville (it's "Vi-la"), if I can call him "Vi-vi", thanked him for the pep-up, and gave me a reassuring hug when I said "I'm mildly autistic". Oh yeh I was allow to stay in the dj booth area/sheltered from the crowds for the entire Darude set. It was just me, Vi-vi, and his manager in the dj booth area. Everyone else was being kicked out. Because of that kind gesture...turn out to be the safest night ever.

Oh man Darude's set was awesome!!!! Vi-vi really rocked and it's quite obvious...he knows how to rock it and just went insane...he was just sweating! I helped abit but cheering with my flag every so often. I was careful not to interfere with the dj-ing....man the speakers near the booth were so loud, I couldn't approach/stay near them for too long. It was a break in the time-space continuity because Vi-vi dropped some his/general vintage tracks like Feel the Beat, Robert miles and yes he dropped Sandstorm....with some Angry Birds remix style! Angry Birds is Finnish too.
After the set, Darude greeted his fans and then we both left the venue together saying our goodbyes and best wishes. I told (in actual speech this time) that I love the nostalgia, and thats the second time I ever been in the dj booth. Vi-vi seem to surprise "oh really whose the first?" I replied "Oh Djs From Mars". Yep he knows them like casual basis and look surprised when I said "oh they're my friends". It was an unforgettable night and I am very thankful to one Finnish guy who gave me shelter and who made the start of Spring-Summer fun times on a very high note. Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment