7/19/14

Mini Comi 2014 - Where the Boxheads roam.

Well my second artist alley stint for this summer has ended and well...my stint could have better mostly over I didn't make rent but venue was cooler in compare to SFU at least where I was near the doors....and unexpectedly again my cosplay choice was loved despite its obscure nature.

First of this was my table....with my head peeking out waiting to pounce..

This was my view behind me...

For those who are wondering....I forgot to bring my real camera along so I had to take pics with the 3DS, so sorry no cosplay shots since in my opinion what showed up wouldn't look too good cause the Cosplay it self were too awesome for words, let alone a 3DS cam to capture nicely. My favorites were Princess Anna and Rapunzel from Frozen and Tangled respectively, and the Kimono Hatsune Miku......the details and fabrics used on these costumes were so rich and looked so good...it would fit nicely in Disneyland or a similar place like that. I was amazed. Fellow artists were great...took a moment before things into full to use my left over lunch money to get one cute Reese, thats Animal Crossing New Leaf.

Again like at the Summer Festival at SFU, and prob the most fulfilling reward (NOT counting 3DS street passes) of this festival was the fact my obscure cosplay choice was getting more love and attention then I expected. Usually if I do an obscure Cosplay, I'm ignored....

The Cosplay Choice in question is these guys meet the Djs From Mars...nope its NOT me doing a random box gag.

This is how they sound like....non-mash up

Djs From Mars is an Italian dj duo, who are famed masters of EDM mashups (ex. Redfoo+Wreckingball+Journey anyone?), bringing the house down and fine electronic sounds plus one of the top djs in the world right now. They are also known for performing with cardboard boxes on their heads, never showing their real faces ever...it's top secret. The funny part is, the box-head idea came from an early music video they did and thought lets try this live when they started performing in clubs. They just happen to be my friends also, and I wanted to pay tribute to them especially for their kindness, and their not-so ordinary musical skills. I also thought I would be cool to cosplay as them here in Vancouver, and wanted to make my own box head. The boxhead proved to be hilarious as for some odd reason, I was mistaken for a Goomba, or more often a stack of real boxes when sitting down scaring people by accident when I talked or waved. One of my artist alley neighbors kept getting freaked out by it.

 In addition to the original "form", I added my own Martian touch in the form of the alien mutations face paint. The premise is a young Martian having trouble holding her human form hence the eyes appearing on my hand and cheek. I wanted to add that in so I look good when not wearing the box head. I can actually eat and drink while wearing the box via the mouth opening normally. The box again proved to be very useful in shielding my real head from the sun (I'm prone to migraines in the hot sun) outdoors hence why I wore it outside and on to the sky-train platform after the festival. I wonder if the real Djs from Mars ever use their own boxes as sun shields. Someone even wanted an instagram pic of me with my boxhead and helped him (and the djs indirectly) hash tag it properly....wonder if the link works if I post it here. I actually don't own an instagram account or let alone iphone.

Anyway signing off guys....

No comments:

Post a Comment